Monday, November 30, 2009

wedding dress

About a year or so ago my family and I were visiting my grandmother in Colorado. She pulled me aside and told me that it would mean a lot to her and my mother if I would consider wearing her wedding dress. At the time I was single, and had no thought really about marriage or a wedding... wow, what can happen in a year.

So, the day I was engaged, she still remembered telling me about her dress and that I could wear it if I so wished. The more I thought about it, the more I was so excited and honored to wear such an heirloom piece that not only my grandmother wore, but also my Godmother, and also a dress that would mean so much to the women who mean so much to me in my life!

My grandmother was able to ship it to my parents house, and my sister was coming home to visit for Thanksgiving, so we were about to have a dress "unveiling" with my mom, my sister, and my best friend, Hillary.

The dress was still kept in its original gold box which my grandmother has taken very good care of. I pull it out of this gold box and the dress is still in immaculate shape. Still pure white, and beautifully adorned in lace. It has a long, cathedral train, high neck and long lace sleeves. The bodice is a sweetheart shape and has a little bit of beading around the bust.




It really is quite stunning. We are really keeping most of the original dress, just going to remove the lace sleeves and high collar and leave the sweetheart bodice.






Going to have to wait until after the wedding to see the rest :-)

Can't wait to get it fitted and see what will become of my grandmother's dress!

No comments:

Post a Comment